Wednesday 30 January 2013


Hello everyone, well I started my second elective this week - sculpture. The first day was spent doing an exercise to come up with an idea for our piece. Based on the body and it's senses, we had eight categories and had to add words to relating to each category. From these lists we made a list of roughly twenty verbs, which we gradually whittled down to three. Finally, we picked one verb from these three as our subject. I ended up choosing the verb 'to twist'. Now I'm sure your thinking that's got to be easy enough. Maybe get hold of some wire, rope or fabric, well almost anything pliable really, and twist it around, or twist bits together. The initial plan was to gather some materials together and just get started - see what happens. As I hadn't brought in any materials with me I got hold of some clay and paper to make a start with. Both easily twistable with pleanty of potential. Now I'm not sure exactly how this happened, I kind of got swept along with an idea, but as you'll see from these images, I've ended up with a small collection of twisted steel plates. I was surprised at how easy these were to make and they look quite impressive. Now all I have to do is figure out what to next. That's the hard part.
 

The next three images I assumed were metal but they're actually wicker. Still nice examples of twisted material though. Taken from Sculpture magazine, December 2012, Vol.31 No.10, and by Edgardo Madanes.


The image above is also taken from Sculpture magazine, 2012, Vol.31, No.1, by Rita Mcbride. Titled 'Mae West' and made from carbon fibre it is situated in Munich, Germany.                                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment